Pergola Vs Patio Cover: Which One Is Right For YOU
You’ve finally decided that it’s time to add some backyard bliss to your home. But should you go with a pergola or patio cover? Both provide shade and protection from the elements, but which one is right for you? Don’t worry; we’re here to help! This blog will discuss the pros and cons so you can make the best decision for your home.
What Is A Pergola?
A pergola is an open-air structure usually consisting of four columns supporting a roofing grid of beams and rafters. They create a shady outdoor space perfect for entertaining or relaxing in your backyard. Vines or plants can grow over and around the structure to provide more shade and privacy. Some pergolas have an extra polycarbonate roof for even more protection from the elements.
What Is A Patio Cover?
A patio cover is a solid roof that covers your outdoor space. Patio covers are attached to your home and can be made from various materials, including wood, aluminum, and vinyl. Your patio cover can protect your deck or patio, and it can be built on any level of your home, including the second story. Unlike pergolas, patio covers provide complete protection from the elements. So when snow, rain, or sun threatens to ruin your outdoor plans, having one can save the day.
Pros And Cons Of Pergolas
Pros Of Pergolas:
- Cheaper than patio covers
- Provide more airflow
- Allow for more natural light
- Create a more open and airy feel
Cons Of Pergolas:
- The open-air design doesn’t provide complete protection from the elements
- Parties and gatherings can be interrupted by bad weather
Pros And Cons Of Patio Covers
Pros Of Patio Covers:
- Provide more shade than pergolas
- Protect you from the rain and snow
- Keep your outdoor space cooler in the summer
- Gatherings and parties can go on even if the weather isn’t cooperating
Cons Of Patio Covers:
- More expensive than pergolas
- Can block out too much sunlight
- May make your outdoor space feel more closed in
Pergola Vs Patio Cover: How To Choose Between The Two
So, which one is right for you? Now that you know the pros and cons, it’s time to decide which is ideal for your needs. Here are a few factors to consider:
- The Weather In Your Area: If you live in an area with a lot of bad weather, a patio cover may be the better option. They provide more protection from the elements and keep your outdoor space usable.
- Your Budget: Pergolas are typically cheaper than patio covers. So if you’re working with a tight budget, a pergola may be the way to go.
- Do You Want An Open And Airy Feel: A pergola is a good option if you want an open and airy feel for your outdoor space. If you have another outdoor area where you can entertain guests in case of bad weather, like a porch, a pergola may also work well for you.
- Do You Want Complete Protection From The Elements? A patio cover is a good solution if you want your outdoor space to be usable regardless of the weather. A patio cover is worth considering if you don’t have other protected outdoor areas.
- Do You Want To Grow Vines Or Plants: If you want to add some greenery to your outdoor space, you can grow vines on your pergola for additional shade and privacy.
Add A Gorgeous Pergola Or Patio Cover To Your Home
If you live in Denver, Colorado, and would like to add a pergola or a patio cover to your home, feel free to give us a call or request an estimate here. Our outdoor living contractors are ready to turn your ideas into reality. We look forward to hearing from you soon!